AC 33 RC model

This new boat has been engineered to study a future adding of new ac33 sailboat between our ac32.
claudioD

Re: AC 33 RC model

Postby claudioD » 21/03/2009, 12:18

Ready for glass fiber - epoxy lamination

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 21/03/2009, 18:26

Master lamination with one layer of glass 105g/m² and epoxy resin.
Visibles in the picture the peel-off ribbons.

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 23/03/2009, 16:14

The glass/epoxy are dry.
The black paint will used as a sort of "spy", during water paper sanding, in order to discover bump and hollows.
Claudio

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 24/03/2009, 15:25

LESSON LEARNED !!!
NEVER PUT EPOXY RESIN ONTO A POLYESTER FILLER .

This morning I was preparing for water paper sanding when I observed a small bubble.
Opened with a cutter just for local repair..... The skin was lifting showing no adherence.
To be short, I was obliged to remove all the glass fiber .
I'm sure that the polyester filler was not 100% dry this because the hull was left outside during the day (cause smell) where the temperature was around 15/17°C. I assume that 48 hours were not sufficient to dry off the filler under these conditions.
Manufacturer suggest minimum temperature of 15°C.
The filler appears some what soften.

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 24/03/2009, 18:44

The hull is returned to the previous status ready for the first coat with glass-epoxy and then repairing small defects with polyester filler and applying further the black paint as tracer.

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 25/03/2009, 17:29

The images appears to be all the same but they are not.
After sanding the full Hull, I started the lamination to prepare the Master.

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 26/03/2009, 18:10

The "recital" of this discussion is just dedicated to the ones that would like to start building and to shows them that it is rather easy to do.

Here the picture of this morning. The Hull is black painted with a simple spray.
The back light shows better the irregularities of surface.
The wetpaper sanding should eliminate all for a uniform surface. If necessary the hull will be black painted again to confirm the surface status.

The Close-up shows better the amount of work to be done. Pratically the bumps are in the order of a couple tens of millimiter no more. Tomorrow I will start using my elbow, once again....

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 27/03/2009, 14:26

Start sanding !

After one hour !!

Looking the bottom part, probably I will not go further, instead, the residual hollows (few microns) will be filled with fine polyester mastic.

This picture is a close-up - macro photo showing various grade of surface. Where the wood is apparent, there is no need to continue, the deep dark hollows areas will be filled with finishing polyester filler.

I need some rest before continue with the sides.
Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 01/04/2009, 14:18

Sanding and hollows filling completed

White paint coat as surface finish. Fine sanding up to grade 600 once dried and repaint if necessary in order to mask the micro voids
Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 04/04/2009, 15:39

After a light coat of black paint (tracer function), I started fine sanding with 320 grade

The surface is actually very smooth for a male moulding. To consider that this surface will be representing the inner face of the laminated hull.
For a female mould I would, eventually, used finer sanding paper up to 800/1200 grade.

I will proceed now to the next operation that will consist in the application of 5 to 6 layers of wax .
Soft polishing after each dried wax layer, of course.
Claudio

Return to “IACC33 STUDY”