AC 33 RC model

This new boat has been engineered to study a future adding of new ac33 sailboat between our ac32.
claudioD

AC 33 RC model

Postby claudioD » 12/03/2009, 14:31

The next America Cup will be called AC33.

New Rules has been presented as well the major issues for the new specifications , see : http://33rd.americascup.com/en/
The Press has also presented some drawings indicating the differences between previous AC and the AC33

For the modeler, this is a unique opportunity to eventually anticipate the issue of the next America Cup competition.
Obviously the designer is navigating in the dark and will take all the risks, but the elements already produced by the Press and by the AC Organisation can be "interpreted" in order to develops an RC Model that could be joining the already existing IACC120 Class.

In the next pages I will presents my actual work and how will be progressing.

Best to all
ClaudioD
Last edited by claudioD on 12/03/2009, 20:45, edited 7 times in total.

claudioD

Re: AC 33 RC model

Postby claudioD » 12/03/2009, 15:28

As seen on the press :
Just a close-up to better understand the New AC33

At glance, with the benefit of doubt , one may notice that the fin is positioned under the mast vertical suggesting that the CE is rather advanced, and secondly only one rudder is illustrated in spite of the stern wideness. This late observation is based upon the designs seen for the Open60 that raced at the VendéeGlobe.
Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 15:44

INTRODUCTION

Sticking to the principle that these new models will be scaled down to 1:20 as the IACC120, one will found out, reading the AC Rules, that the scaled AC33 RC model will have an Overall Length of 130cm.
The Water Line length will be also closed to 130cm. The Mast height will be 167.5cm
One of major interests, I considered, is the shallow hull that is not very usual with various class models so far built. the minimum draught is only 26mm.
It is important to note that not all the AC"" parameters will be scaled to 1:20, the 'underwater' volume will be adapted to the necessary construction constraints derived by the RC devices, rig, sail, fin, rudder and hull weights.
Contrary to the existing IACC120 Class, the model boat will be designed to have a maximum total displacement of 4.1kg in spite of the increased length. All the gained weight, during construction, I will use it for lead Bulb.
The Sail plan will be limited to a maximum of 0.85m²
It will be further possible to use Fins of different length up to a maximum of 50cm including bulb as measured from the bottom of the Hull.
No limitations are considered on the choice of materials, I will prefer, nevertheless, the Glass against the Carbon tissues in order to limit the costs. The Mast will be self made.
I consider being free to produce a model within the following Hull maximum dimensions: (Hull Draught is free)
LOA: minimum 128.5 cm - maximum 130 cm
Beam minimum 22 cm - maximum 24cm

ACTUAL DESIGNS

I decided during the drawing exercise, to develop two designs for the shapes of sections.
One the AC33-A is rather squared in form with a very reduced draught of 26mm, while the other, the AC33-B, is a little more rounded in shape but with an increased draught of 29mm.
The Beams are also different, it is important for this type of design to avoid variations of longitudinal form. It is important that the water running close to the hull is not forced to change direction of flow; this form will allow sparing some energy.
Cd
Last edited by claudioD on 15/03/2009, 15:34, edited 2 times in total.

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 15:50

The Plan type A - rev. B
The plan has been revised to take into account the direct use of a male mould. The thickness of the lamination is producing additional displacement !

The Plan B is available on request

ClaudioD
Last edited by claudioD on 20/04/2009, 16:41, edited 14 times in total.

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 15:58

Sail Plan for 71dm²

ClaudioD
Last edited by claudioD on 20/04/2009, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 18:53

The construction will consist in preparing a Master.
Here some pictures of the work in progress.

Image Image

First the printing glued on 5mm triplex and subsequently the cutting .
Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 18:58

Assembly set-up started 2 days ago

As yesterday

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 13/03/2009, 19:58

As this evening :

Strip planking with pinewood

Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 15/03/2009, 12:43

Slowly but surely :
Cd

claudioD

Postby claudioD » 16/03/2009, 12:33

Another way to use clothes pins :

the last stick

the Master Hull is complete

Is Free ! Interior view
ImageImage

Last view before coating the interior with epoxy resin. This operation will reiforce the assembly before starting the external sanding exercise and preparation for molding.
Cd

Return to “IACC33 STUDY”